About Anne Rice
Who is Anne Rice? She is an author who has penned various novels in many series. She was born in New Orleans, on October 4th, 1941. The name given to her at birth was Howard Allen O'Brien, after her father, which she changed to Anne herself when she started school. She attended both Texas Woman's College (where she met her husband Stan), and San Francisco State University, where she received a Bachlors in Political Science and Creative Writing. Stan and Anne were married, and had two kids. Their first daughter, Michele, died of leukaemia. Her son Christopher has become an author himself.
Her most famous novels are the Vampire Chronicles. Given the popularity of movies such as Interview With the Vampire and The Queen of the Damned, the names Lestat, Marius, and Akasha have gotten a wider range of respect and notice. I have been a fan of hers for less than a decade, though she has been around for about thirty years.
Her style has been described as "gothic" and dark, and a lot of people have trouble accepting her writing because it is highly homosexual and erotic. I have often found myself more connected to the pain her characters and the beauty she creates with her descriptions and immaculate grasp of history. Each of her characters has a life of their own and a personality that I believe is an extension of her inner person.
Anne Rice's Books
As Anne Rampling
Exit to Eden (1985)
As A.N. Roquelaure
The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (1983)
Beauty's Punishment (1984)
Beauty's Release (1985)
The Vampire Chronicles
Interview With the Vampire (1976)
The Vampire Lestat (1985)
The Queen of the Damned (1988)
The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)
Memnoch the Devil (1995)
The Vampire Armand (1998)
Blood and Gold (2002)
Blackwood Farm (2003)
Blood Canticle (2004)
Prince Lestat and the Realm of Atlantis
The New Tales of the Vampires
Lives of the Mayfair Witches
The Witching Hour (1990)
Christ the Lord
Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (2005)
Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana (2008)
The Feast of All Saints (1979)
Cry to Heaven (1982)
The Mummy, or Ramses the Damned (1989)
Servant of the Bones (1996)
Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession (2008)
Katherine and Jean (1969)
Katherine and Jean (1972) (Masters thesis)
"October 4, 1948" (1965)
"Nicholas and Jean" (first ch.) (1966)
"Interview With the Vampire" (1969)
"The Master of Rampling Gate" (1982)
Anne Rice On Screen
Exit to Eden (1994)
Interview With the Vampire (1994)
The Queen of the Damned (2002)
A Feast of All Saints (2001)
Contact Anne Rice
If you wish to call Anne Rice, or send her fanmail, these were the last released to my knowledge... note, she no longer lives there!
1239 First St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Anne Rice/Book Facts
Note that some of these are rumors! Sometimes it's interesting to see what possibilities others can create. I will * next to a rumor.
- Anne Rice edits her own books, she does not allow anyone at Knopf to edit for her.
- Her books have a few cross overs and cameos. Aaron and David from The Witching Hour series were mentioned in The Vampire Chronicles. David even became a main character later on. Also, Ramses from The Mummy is mentioned in The Vampire Lestat.
- Interview With the Vampire began as a short story... which I have for you right here
- There was once a musical in the works of Cry to Heaven being done by Matthew Wilder.
- Violin for Anne Rice is an album of classical music that can currently be bought that relates to Anne Rice novels.
- Lestat's singing voice in The Vampire Lestat/The Queen of the Damned was supposed to be similar to Jim Morrison's.
- Sting wrote Moon Over Bourbon Street after reading Interview With the Vampire.
- It's said that the Nine Inch Nails song The Only Time was written for Armand and Daniel. *
- The Vampire Lestat was made into a musical by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.
Interview With the Vampire- short story written in 1973
Interlude With the Undead- Armand's Playboy, January 1979 article
Lestat's Response to IWtV- Letter from Lestat to Anne Rice, appeared in the New Yorker
Lestat Writes the Fans- Before the publication of Blood Canticle, Lestat addresses his fans
Music Inspired By...
- Aiden- The Last Sunrise (Interview With the Vampire)
- Concrete Blonde- Bloodletting: A Vampire Song (The Vampire Lestat)
- The Damned- The Dog (Claudia)
- Malice Mizer- Transylvania (Interview With the Vampire)
- Nine Inch Nails- The Only Time (Armand & Daniel)
- Santa Sabina- Vampiro: Una cancion para Louis (Louis)
- Sting- Moon Over Bourbon Street (Interview With the Vampire)
anne rice store
Do you want to access the store? It will open in a new window:
Anne Rice Store